Making your own vegan bread is not only healthy and delicious, but it is also a great way to save money as well as be more sustainable. Most store-bought breads have many unhealthy and unwanted ingredients in them. If you were to look at the ingredients of bread bought from the supermarket you would notice many ingredients that should not be in bread, such as certain preservatives, additives, as well as unnecessary fats . Being able to prepare your own food, rather than buying it from a grocery store is a great way to be more eco-friendly. This recipe is an easy and fun way to make your own vegan bread.
This bread can be served any way you would like. You can use it for different types of sandwiches, serve it on the side, or use it with your favorite type of vegan pasta. Depending on how you would like to serve it, whether it is for breakfast, lunch, or dinner, feel free to add your own favorite ingredients such as, cinnamon, nuts, or fruits!
What you need:
4 cups unbleached flour
1 ½ teaspoons of dry yeast
1 ½ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ¾ cups hot water
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, yeast and salt together.
- Add in the extra virgin olive oil and hot water.
- Allow the flour to absorb the liquids and let it sit for about 5-10 minutes.
- Take dough out of bowl and make into a ball.
- Kneed the dough for about 10 minutes, or until can be stretched.
- Place dough back into a clean bowl and cover it with a damp cloth.
- Place the covered dough into a warm place and allow dough to rise for 1-1 ½ hours.
- Take the dough back out of the bowl and kneed it again to get out air bubbles.
- Divide the dough in half and shape it how you wish, then place them into lightly oiled pans.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Once oven is preheated place the dough inside.
- Bake the dough for 35-45 minutes.
- Allow bread to cool and serve!